Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Elderly, Pujols and My Driveway

Don't Age and Drive!

Everyone knows the older we get, the slower we drive. It's a known fact, proven daily to millions of impatient drivers across the land. Why is this? Scientists will tell you the human body deteriorates as we age; leaving us with slower reflexes and shorter tempers. I at least make an effort to "understand" the reason that Buick is slowing me down is because the person operating that vehicle is near death.

This observation leads me to my next point of confusion; you would think that a person so near the end would choose to drive faster instead of slower since they have little time. Conversely, the young people in cars are the ones driving fast. Maybe the old folks have realized that whatever it is you're in a hurry to get to, just isn't worth the hurry. I'll let you know in 30 years when I retire.

Albert Pujols on the DL

If you're a baseball fan, you're probably already aware of this. If you aren't a baseball fan, you most likely don't care. I do care. I like baseball a little bit - if the Cardinals are doing well. Otherwise, it's a bit less entertaining. The significant piece here is that Pujols never misses a game. He's one of those guys who thinks he is still playing in Little League and gives his all every day. A 15 day stint on the DL? This must be killing poor little Albert. I know it's killing the Cards. At least he's not on my fantasy team.

My Driveway

Two weekends ago my family completed our move. My wife and her father and I moved our "big stuff". You know, the washer/dryer, bedroom furniture, couch, chair, etc. All of the little stuff had already been transported. I had done this throughout the month of May. We paid two rents - one on the place where we lived; one on our new house. That gave us the entire month to make the move. It would have been much easier to do if I'd have had my mini van to work with. It was in the shop... but that's another day's entry. Anyway, we found this awesome little house in a fantastic neighborhood. The neighbor to the left is a bit scary - he never speaks to us and he often leaves his house with two shotguns (in their cases). I assume he's going to a shooting range - or hunting... but you never know. He's very militant-looking in a rent-a-cop sort of way.

Our neighbors on the other side are very friendly and welcomed us almost immediately. He is a retired state worker; she is very friendly. Their children are both grown and the son lives elsewhere. Their daughter, who is very beautiful, still lives there and seems to be close to her folks. That in and of itself in this day and age is refreshing. The daughter's boyfriend (he does not live there) is a landscaper and is currently engaged in a backyard beautification project. As a result, a regular and ample supply of collateral mud-droppage has my driveway a mess. Not to mention the shards of rock that have been chipped away from larger pieces in order to shape them before placement. I thought about sweeping it all up, but figured I'd wait until they were done. (Would that imply impatience on my part if I were to sweep the drive?) We'll see when that is. Their project so far looks really great.

That's that for today... more tomorrow or the next day. Maybe I'll talk about my son and his love for making noise - or perhaps the disappointment of a losing Powerball ticket.

Until then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home