Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Silent Treatment

An Apology of Sorts…

My good friend and respected blogger, Steve Mays seemed to be a tad disappointed with my first ever blog. Oh, he certainly appreciated my kind-ish words, but the reference “older gentleman” seemed to hit a nerve. Steve equated that modifier with Colonel Sanders and Mark Twain. But Steve is a problem-solver, so he offered up some potential handles (these are great); Funky Web Monkey and Your Pyle-Drivin’ Digital Daddy. If you know Steve Mays – you know these monikers would be appropriate. Steve, you’re not old – just used. I mean pre-owned. Dang. I guess I should just quit while I’m ahead. I’ll explore some other suggestions Steve made concerning the actual title of my blog. He does have some great ideas.

The Silent Treatment

We all know what this is. Most of us have received the silent treatment at some point in our lives. Last night my wife subjected me to an extended treatment. I’m not quite sure at what point I realized this was going on – once I was aware, I began to formulate my plan. This could be difficult since my infraction was unclear. What approach should I take?

It is a common misconception that the silent treatment need be met with an apologetic attitude – not at all true. Sometimes the silent treatment stems from uncertainty or other emotional roadblocks. Although a stern attitude is sometimes the answer, this particular situation should be settled with tenderness, understanding and finally good roll in the hay.

Sometimes women "don't feel well", so I decided a casual approach was in order. Just sit back, tread lightly and don’t try to start a conversation. This bought me some time and about 20 minutes after she popped four ibuprofen, things began to settle down. One decision I made that aided the truce was turning the TV from a baseball game to the E! network. “The 40 Most Shocking Celebrity Mugshots” turned out to be a better program selection for all involved.

Tomorrow I’ll discuss my 2-year-old son and his obsession with bodily noise-making as well as that damned losing Powerball ticket.

Until then…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home